Monday, July 6, 2015

#564 G.I. JOE – MOTORIZED ACTION PACKS, SERIES 1 (PART 1) (1987)


An interesting concept, which is present in many important action figure lines that include figures and vehicles, is the “small vehicles”. These are normally quite simple and, I would say, cheaper to produce than the figures themselves. They are normally priced as a single figure, and mostly sold in blister cards like the figures.

Who knows if G.I.Joe took this concept from Masters of the Universe (see for example #188)… the action packs are small, can be carried as a backpack, and have a wind-up motor that can be triggered on/off by a switch.

There were two series made of this, the first one consisted of 8 machines, 4 for G.I.Joe and 4 for Cobra and/or Dreadnocks. The second series, next year, counted only 4 small vehicles. Today I want to show a few of the first series, and I will complete it sometime, when I can take good pictures of the other machines I have.


The motorized action packs were:

G.I.Joe:
  • Anti-Aircraft Gun
  • Helicopter
  • Radar Station
  • Rope Walker
Cobra:
  • Earth Borer
  • Mountain Climber
  • Pom-Pom Gun
  • Rope Crosser

All of them were packaged in a blister card with a generic card, and included were a sheet of instructions in the “blueprint” style and a sheet of stickers. There were no filecard or whatever at the
back, only small pictures of all the available items.



Radar Station (G.I. Joe)
Guest Starring: Mainframe




Helicopter (G.I. Joe)
Guest Starring: Astro Viper v2 (yes, I know it is a GIJoe vehicle, but I took the pictures with the wrong figure)






Mountain Climber (Cobra)
Guest Starring: Firefly v2








FACTS AND FIGURES:
  • Name: MOTORIZED ACTION PACKS HELICOPTER, RADAR STATION and MOUNTAIN CLIMBER.
  • Alternate Names: Aparatos de Acción (Spanish), Engins d’Action (French)
  • Toy Line: G.I.Joe (wave 6)
  • Year: 1987
  • Company: Hasbro (U.S.A.)
  • Size of the figures: 3 ½¨ or 8 cms.

No comments:

Post a Comment