Wednesday, May 31, 2017

#815 LWNR/WINNER – SPACE EXPLORATION VEHICLE (Around 1990)


This is an interesting space toy from the early 90s. At the time, the space-themed toys were already declining in comparison to the previous decades. There were still some interesting toylines (most notably Starcom) and toylines subseries (for example G.I.Joe´s Star Brigade), but it was a time of a more down-to-earth fantasy and action times for toys.


I would say this toy, being much more humble, is inspired by Starcom. It is a land vehicle with distinctive features to be used on the Moon, Mars or any other planet (wheels, radars, cannons...). It has two LEDs on both sides and also a small loudspeaker to produce light and sound. Inside there is a small cell battery, that I removed because it was already a bit damaged. Another cool feature is that the cockpit can be opened revealing some kind of seat.


The toy has cool stickers in a futuristic style, as seen in many movies before.

About the company LWNR we know that it is still active. They are based in Dongguan, China since 1978, and they master the complete process of creating toys, from the concept and the design to manufacturing an packaging. As many toy companies these days, they moved from a more general production to toys for younger children, which are the ones that still get toys (and not Smartphones or whatever). They have huge facilities (factory, offices and warehouses) an they employ up to 2000 people. Quite astounding. Unlike other Chinese companies, Winner is proud to give its employees good labour conditions and work environment.


To see the current catalogue and get more information about the toylines, history and more, please visit http://www.winnertoys.com/.


UPDATE1 (Dec/2018): A few pics from eBay showing this toy and similar ones in their blister cards.

 
 




 
FACTS AND FIGURES:
  • Name: SPACE EXPLORATION VEHICLE
  • Company: LWNR Winner (China)
  • Year: Around 1990
  • Size: approx. 8 cm

2 comments:

  1. I had this exact vehicle when I was a kid in Hong Kong. I've lost it when we immigrated to the US. I'm actively looking for a replacement. Let me know if you or someone might have one that's available for sale. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Danny.
      Thanks for the comment! Are you looking for the red one or for the white one? If the red one, I have it, and I may be willing to sell it tou you. You can write me to toysfromthepast.blogspot@gmail.com only thing is that I would need to look for it, as I have several boxes with toys, and I would need to check all of them. Cheers, Juan

      Delete